Crown Forestry Rental Trust's overall purpose derives from our founding Trust Deed, which states that the Trust will:
- Receive rental proceeds from the Crown forest land upon which Crown Forest Assets are located, and;
- Make the interest earned from investment of those rental proceeds, available to assist Māori in the preparation, presentation and negotiation of claims before the Waitangi Tribunal which involve, or could involve, certain Crown forest land.
Settling claims is the responsibility of claimants and the Crown. The Trust is committed to:
- Facilitating the settlement process.
- Funding this process efficiently so that claimants and the Crown can settle as soon as possible.
- Working with the Waitangi Tribunal and the Office of Treaty Settlements to expedite claims to Crown forest lands.